I have for sale a very rare and possibly with very historical importance, a Double Holed 1820-1840 New York Militia Button excavated on my Family’s Private Property within yards of the Actual Birthplace/Plantation of Harriet Tubman in Madison of Dorchester County, Maryland. Please Continue Reading.
Reasons for Possible Relation to the Tubman Family
- Button was manufactured between 1820 to 1840.
- Holed 2X for Personal Meaning or Importance
- New York was a Free State
- Ship Spikes found in the area, Harriet’s father, Ben Ross, was a Timber Selector for building Ships in a shipyard 1-2 miles away
- Holed coins and buttons were made by those enslaved as Charm Tokens or to Keep Evil away
- Found on Family’s property within yards of the most known location of Harriet Tubman’s Birthplace.
Early Life of Harriet Tubman
Because there is so much that can be said about Harriet Tubman, I will focus on her early life in Dorchester County, MD.
[This portion was grabbed from Wikipedia]
- Tubman was born Araminta “Minty” Ross to slave parents, Harriet (“Rit”) Green and Ben Ross. Rit was owned by Mary Pattison Brodess (and later her son Edward). Ben was held by Anthony Thompson, who became Mary’s second husband, and who ran a large plantation near Blackwater River in Madison, Maryland. As with many slaves in the United States, neither the exact year nor place of Araminta’s birth is known, and historians differ as to the best estimate. Kate Larson records the year as 1822, based on a midwife payment and several other historical documents, including her runaway advertisement, while Jean Humez says “the best current evidence suggests that Tubman was born in 1820, but it might have been a year or two later.
- Modesty, Tubman’s maternal grandmother, arrived in the United States on a slave ship from Africa; no information is available about her other ancestors. As a child, Tubman was told that she was of Ashanti lineage (from what is now Ghana), though no evidence exists to confirm or deny this assertion. Her mother Rit (who may have had a white father) was a cook for the Brodess family. Her father Ben was a skilled woodsman who managed the timber work on Thompson’s plantation. They married around 1808 and, according to court records, they had nine children together: Linah, Mariah Ritty, Soph, Robert, Minty (Harriet), Ben, Rachel, Henry, and Moses.
About Holed Button and Coins
It is widely known that Slaves in America that would wear holed silver coins and buttons as “Charm Tokens”. In many cases (based on religion), silver coins were used to keep evil away. With New York being a Free State, I can see why this button was important to whom may have worn it, hence the 2 holes. Once the Original hole began to wear to the point that it could be lost, a 2nd hole was placed at the bottom. Again this button dates between 1820 to 1840, the same time that Harriet’s father Ben Ross was an Overseer for Selecting Timber to build and repair Ships in the Church Creek area, 1-2 miles away from their home in Madison.
I have found several holed Silver Coins dating between 1820-1850, in the same area (100+ acre field) of where this button was found.
I, born and raised in Dorchester County, Maryland and have been metal detecting the area since I was a kid. My family have has been Dorchester County since the 1700’s and many of my family members still own large farms in the county. I have accumulated alot of finds over the years, nearly 99% of my finds are from Dorchester County as I’m very particular about our history here.
I dont really want to sell this button, as I’m more than convinced of its possible importance. I’m putting a “ridiculous price” on this button as I’m not too concerned with selling it, as I would like to donate it to an important museum that is solely focused on African American History.
I guarantee that this button was recovered within Dorchester County, Maryland near the Family House of Ben Ross and Harriet Greene Ross, Harriet Tubman’s Birthplace. I am offering 90 Day Unconditional Money Back Guarantee that this button is Authentic in every manner mentioned.
Again, if you have any questions I will do my best to answer them. I also have GPS Coordinates of the exact location of where this button was found. I will include this information to the buyer ONLY. And for the record, I’m not saying that this was without a doubt worn by Harriet Tubman, I’m only stating that it could had been, or possibly a relative. But is without a doubt found known where she was born.